Wednesday, September 10, 2014

I'm a Bad Person

This past weekend, my mom and I went to see If I Stay. It was a bit more of a romance than I'm usually into, but it was still quite good. The characters were cool, the story was interesting, and the music was fantastic, so I was able to forgive the chick flick moments. Anyway, good movie, you should check it out.

The real point of this post though is the fact that, when I watch these kinds of movies, it's not the sad parts that make me sad; it's the happy parts. The whole time I was watching this movie, I'm thinking "Yeah, I'm sorry you were in a horrible car accident, and that totally sucks that you're in a coma now. But why can't I live in Portland, and hang out with a bunch of cool musicians, and be ridiculously talented, and have a boyfriend who loves me?!" Seriously, everything that happened in her life (besides the car accident) I would give damn near anything to have happen to me. 

It's always like this with sad movies too, because what really makes a movie sad is what the person loses (or almost loses, or might lose). So in order to have a good sad movie, the main character has to have something really great, for at least a little while. I mean, if my life were a movie the most horrible thing imaginable could happen to me and it still would be very sad because the audience would just think "Eh, she didn't really have anything going for her anyway." 
Also, I am moving to fucking Portland someday! Even if it's when I'm eighty years old, I'm going! 

No comments:

Post a Comment