Thursday, December 26, 2013

Spiting My Face

I have a rather twisted relationship with my body. I often find myself thinking of it as a separate entity, or group of entities, which I am forced to live with but don't necessarily get along with. It feels sort of like my body is a bunch of unruly children I am responsible for. I end up thinking things like "God damn it, Left Leg! Why won't you stretch the way I tell you too?" or "Fuck you, Neck! Stop hurting for no reason!" Also, you know that saying "Cutting off your nose to spite your face"? Well, I come closer to taking that phrase literally than probably anyone else on the planet. At times when my body refuses to do or be what I want it to, I often make it do things it doesn't want to; just on principle. I imagine that most people probably skip working out, or at least take it a bit easy, on days when they are sick or injured. Not me though. I just think "Oh, I'm sorry, Body. Does your leg hurt today? Well then you shouldn't have slipped on that ice and bashed it all up! You hold that warrior two for an extra thirty seconds!" or "Poor Body, are you tired today? Well that's what you get for letting us get a fucking cold! Now drop and give me twenty!" I am a severely fucked up person. Just saying.

2 comments:

  1. I am impressed with your determination! I am pretty good about running, but not that good. I'm afraid that I will slip on ice and put myself out for weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You still have me beat; I gave up on running altogether. Also, I think in my case it's less determination than some sort of mental illness, hahaha.

      Delete