Friday, December 6, 2013

Griping

So, my dad and I finished Battlestar Galactica a couple of nights ago. I enjoyed the show overall; it had an interesting concept, complex characters, good dialog, and it definitely kept the audience guessing. I must say though, after the final episode, I was severely pissed. I feel like the writers tried so hard to make the story unpredictable that they didn't even bother to predict it for themselves. Then they got to the last episode and hadn't answered any of the questions they had raised throughout the entire show. Then they just said "Oh well." and went ahead and raised a few more that they also didn't answer. The other thing that bugged the shit out of me was all the stuff that seemed like it meant something but apparently didn't. From the very beginning, they talked about prophecies, and god's plan, and people having vision, and "all this has happened before." This, at least to me, implied that there was meaning in everything. Throughout the entire show, I kept analyzing everything and trying to figure out the symbolism that appeared to be everywhere. I came up with about a hundred different explanations for why certain things happened and what certain things were supposed to represent. Then we get to the end and the writers were just like " Nope. None of it meant anything." You can expect a list sometime in the next few days of all the questions that didn't get answered and/or all the things that seemed like they should have been relevant but weren't. I know this is stupid, but I put a lot of work into analyzing this show and I'm not going to let that all go to waste.
One thing about the show that I enjoyed, more than I probably should have, though was Mark Sheppard's character. I really felt like his first three episodes were nothing but straight Crowley jokes. This, of course, is impossible since Battlestar Galactica was over before Crowley ever showed up on Supernatural. Seriously though, two of his episodes were called "Crossroads" how is that not a Crowley reference? Plus, I dig the sunglasses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment