Saturday, December 7, 2013

Every Damn Time

The poetry thing was last night. So, naturally, I spent the entire day reading my poem over, and over, and over, and over again. Then I spent most of the evening convincing myself that, yes, I did want to go through with this. It turned out that I didn't actually know where the place was, even though I thought I did. So my mom and I had to drive around forever and look for it. We still ended up getting there almost an hour before the thing started, which gave me ample time to freak right the fuck out. By the time I got up on stage, I was just trying to keep myself from looking as freaked out as I was. I actually did alright, I think. Not nearly as good as I had hoped, of course. But also not nearly as bad as I had feared. I got a pretty decent score too. Here's the fun part though; they were doing the competition in three rounds. This means that we were each supposed to have three poems prepared. Apparently everyone knew this but me. I always manage to find some way to embarrass the shit out of myself, even when I don't embarrass myself in the way that I expect to.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry I missed it! I'll be at your next one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's quite alright :) It was super awkward anyway. If I come across any other opportunities to do it, I will definitely let you know.

      Delete