Monday, December 9, 2013

All Along the Watchtower

As I said yesterday, the thing that bugged me the most abut Battestar Galactica was the way they handled the parts with the song. I don't think it would have been difficult at all to write it in a way that made sense. Instead, I feel like they made it so that All Along the Watchtower was this crucial part of the story, but they never actually tell us how or why. Why that song? How did the four hear the song? Where exactly was it coming from? Why did Starbuck's dad know the song? Why did Anders know the song better than the others? Did he write it? Why did Tory say that he played it for all of them? Was he a musician back on Earth? Furthermore, as I mentioned in a previous post, I kept analyzing the lyrics and trying to figure out how they relate to the story. I stand by my conclusion that the lyrics were relevant, but I feel like the writers didn't bother to explain exactly how. I feel like nearly every line in the song could have been related to the story, but they just didn't bother to write it that way.

So here is my, in depth, analysis of All Along the Watchtower as it relates to the show. The song is a about a joker and a thief, right?

"There must be some kind of way out of here"
said the joker to the thief.
"There's too much confusion."
"I can't get no relief."

I feel like it is just too much of a coincidence that they introduce the song right after they introduce a character who is a thief (Lampkin). After I realized who the thief was, I kept trying to figure out who the joker was. I think it was Baltar. He was, at least to me, the comic relief in the show from the beginning. So there are our two main characters.

"Business men they drink my wine.
Plowmen dig my earth.
None will level on the line.
Nobody of it is worth."

I think this could easily have been related to Baltar's theory about the separation between the classes in the fleet. Some people do all the work, while others reap the benefits. Then we have;

"No reason to get excited"
The thief he kindly spoke.
"There are many here among us
who feel that life is but a joke"

Right before the Cylons split into two faction, there was an argument between one of the Sixes and Cavil, during which she asked him if life was a joke to him.

"But you and I have been through that
and this is not our fate
so let us not talk falsely now
the hour is getting late."

Sounds an awful lot like "all this has happened before and all this will happen again" Yes? Also, at lot of people died by the end of the show. The joker and the thief were not among them, because that was not their fate.

All along the watchtower
princes kept the view

I asked myself, who would be considered a prince? Lee, obviously. I mean, his dad basically rules the fleet, right? And what did he and the other pilots do with most of their time? Flew around and watched for Cylons "kept the view" in other words.

while all the women came and went
barefoot servants too

I'm still not sure about the "barefoot servants" but there were certainly several women who "came and went" in one way or another. After Strabuck had come back from the grave and Ellen showed back up, one of the guys working on the deck even said something to the effect of "Where do they keep coming from?"

Outside in the cold distance
a wildcat did growl.
Two riders were approaching
and the wind began to howl.

This is the only part I couldn't quite figure out. I would be happy to hear any theories; unless the theory is "You're a fucking lunatic and everything you just said was completely ridiculous." In which case, I am already fully aware of this. Thank you anyway though.






No comments:

Post a Comment