Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Gray Areas Are Mine

As surprising as this may be to some, I think I have a lot more moral flexibility than most people. I tend to be able to understand and accept things that other people consider to be completely awful. I see about ninety-nine percent of the world as a giant gray area. As far as I'm concerned one of the only, if not the only, moral rule that is truly set in stone is "Don't cause the death or suffering of the innocent." Everything else can be forgiven, if not justified. That's why animal rights and veganism are so important to me. In my opinion, they are the only true moral imperatives. You could break into my house, steal everything I own, and shoot me in the foot, but if I found out you were vegan I would still think you were a good person. In all honesty, you would have an easier time convincing me that you were morally justified in killing another human than in eating a hamburger. Because from what I've seen very few, if any, humans are truly innocent while animals, almost invariably, are. It's kind of funny that the one rule I'm really steadfast on is the one that almost no one agrees with.

By the way, the title is a line form the Bright Eyes song "Middleman."

No comments:

Post a Comment