Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Music and Life

I have noticed this weird phenomenon where whatever music I am listening to at a given time somehow manages to relate to my life. I tend to buy an album and listen to it over and over until I get completely tired of it, so there are whole eras in my life that are characterized by certain songs/albums artists/whatever. My time at WVU and at least the next year or two after that are pretty much defined by Bright Eyes. The substance abuse, fucked up relationships, and overall sense of despair really spoke to me at the time (the substance abuse wasn't so much me as everyone I knew). I remember being really upset when I turned 23 because there is this one line in "Landlocked Blues" that goes "The world's got me dizzy again. You'd think after 22 years I'd be used to the spin." and it wouldn't apply to me anymore after that. When I went to massage therapy school I was listening to Monsters of Folk (I was really into Conor Oberst for a long time). I was convinced that I was finally getting my shit together (wrong!) and the song "Ahead of the Curve" sort of became my anthem. When I went to Farm Sanctuary I was listening to The Giving Tree Band. The folky semi-country feel of their music, plus the fact that they are vegans was just so perfect! Maybe this is something that happens to everyone, but it's kind of an odd feeling.


No comments:

Post a Comment