Sunday, February 3, 2013

I Am a Master of Disguise

It's funny how people can end up getting stuck in these personas that have nothing to do with who they really are. Once people see you a certain way it's incredibly difficult to get them to change their perceptions. I was homeschooled until fourth grade. When I first went to public school, I had no idea what to expect and I ended up being this extremely quiet, reserved, overly polite person. That's how everyone came to know me. I was the "nice girl" the "good girl" the "quite girl" but that was never who I really was, or who I wanted to be. That's the image of me that stuck though. Even after I cut all of my hair off and got (lots of) tattoos, people still somehow saw me as this innocent, naive person. To this day, I have trouble getting past that. I find that I'm so used to being treated that way that I end up doing things and saying things that in no way reflect what I really think or who I really am. I'm working on it though.

2 comments:

  1. Once you get pigeonholed, it's hard to shake off everyone's perceptions and expectations. It's great that you are working on it! I should do that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it really pisses me off that I think I was a much more interesting person when I was seven.

      Maybe I should have said "I'm trying to work on it." I'm really not sure how much progress I've made.

      Delete