Monday, February 11, 2013

Gently

I use the same workout DVDs everyday and, after a while, I get a bit tired of hearing the instructors say the same things over and over again. I find that it helps to sort of argue with them in my head. On my belly dance DVD, there is this one part where the girl tells you to do "a nice gentle quadricep stretch." Every time I hear her say that, I think "Listen, I don't do gentle. If it doesn't hurt, I'm not interested." As troubling as that may seem on it's own, I have realized that I basically feel the same way about all aspects of my life. I need that intensity. If things are too simple I get bored. I don't like it when things are calm, or peaceful, or "gentle". I need it to hurt a little. This helps to explain some things that I've done in my life that otherwise make absolutely no sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment