Saturday, January 12, 2013

Sometimes Worse Is....... Better?

I'm sure this will sound insane, but sometimes I think I would be better off if my life had been harder. Nothing really bad has ever actually happened to me. Every bad thing that has ever happened in my life has been sort of a low-grade pain in the ass, instead of an actual disaster. Even the times when things could have gone terribly wrong, they ended up being not so bad. I mean fuck, I once ran a car off a bridge and didn't even get hurt. The car was totaled and I felt like shit about it, but I was fine. I'm sure anyone reading this is wondering what the hell I'm complaining about. That sounds like a blessing, right? Well, here's the thing, I have this theory that the whole reason so many people in our society are so unhappy is that we really have nothing to struggle for anymore. Most of us don't have any legitimate hardship in our lives. This may not be the case for other people (and for all I know it might not even actually be the case for me) but I feel like I would be less unhappy if I had something to fight for, or against, or whatever. I think maybe the reason so many of us are so unfulfilled in our lives is that the only struggles we face are against stupid, mundane, meaningless annoyances. I often feel like there's no point in fighting against the little problems of everyday life, because really, what's the point? I suspect that facing true adversity might make me feel more motivated. I often wonder if, back in the days when people had to struggle just to survive, anyone ever felt the emptiness that so many of us feel today. If you spend every day wondering if you are going to die, do you really have time to wonder if you chose the right career path? If you have to worry about whether or not your family will have enough food to get through the winter, would it ever occur to you to wonder if you should have dated more before you got married?

4 comments:

  1. You know what this post reminded me of? The first time I came over to your house (which was only the second time I met you), and you were running around in your (totally awesome) Xena Warrior Princess costume - the one I was insanely jealous of for a good two years.

    I think maybe you were meant to fight bigger fights than most people fight, and you knew even at 7 years old. So now you wonder where all your big fights are, because you feel you should be fighting them.

    I think you will find your hardships and struggles. And you will feel fulfilled as you fight through them. You just haven't found them yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, yeah I guess I've alwasy been bored with real life, even when I was a kid.

      It's kind of funny, I've been thinking lately about how I always thought I wanted to be an actress when I was a kid. I recently realized that I never actually wanted ot be an actress, I wanted to be one of the characters, hahaha.

      I hope you're right (as stupid as it sounds to say that I hope I find hardship). I just find everyday life to be so ridiculously dull.

      Delete
  2. I would like to apologize for my weird, rambling post. I'm feeling kind of introspective tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment was not nearly as weird as the post itself :)Plus I enjoyed it. I've been feeling the same way.

      Delete