Sunday, January 6, 2013

Fight or Flight.....or Just Sit There.

I don't seem to have the normal fear response that most people have. Not only do I not get scared, I don't even really get startled. Last night I was sitting at my mom's house, by myself, watching Netfilx (because that's what I do with my time). I'm sitting on her couch, which is right up against a huge window, watching Supernatural. Zeke, my sister's cat, is laying in the window right behind my head. All of a sudden there is this loud banging on the glass and Zeke shoots into the air and takes off running through the house. Instead of jumping, or possibly screaming, like most people would I automatically assumed that my sister had come home and that it was her out there. I yelled "you scared the shit out of your cat asshole" without even turning around. It turned out it was actually my mom's boss/landlord/neighbor, but it wasn't a serial killer or anything so I guess it was okay that I didn't care. I remember a few years ago I went to this haunted house thing with my boyfriend, at the time, his brother and a bunch of other people. After we left the haunted house, which I guess is supposedly pretty scary, we stopped at a gas station. My boyfriend went inside and I sat in the car. His brother sneaked up to my window and slammed into the glass. I just turned and looked at him. Needless to say, he was a bit disappointed by my reaction. This tactic will probably not be especially effective against a real threat, but it works pretty well on practical jokers.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I was immune to startling : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not entirely immune. It does kind of happen from time to time, just not nearly as often or as intensely as it probably should.

      Delete