Thursday, July 10, 2014

Miracle?

I just finished watching Torchwood: Miracle Day. I think this was, quite possibly, the most original idea I have ever seen for a crisis. The basic idea was, for some reason people just stopped dying. No matter what happened, they just didn't die. They still got sick, still got injured, still got old, but just kept living. At first I thought "Well, that's not really a bad thing." but the more I thought about it, I realized that it is probably the worst thing that could possibly happen to our world.

The season pretty much covered all of the social, economic, religious, and political implications of people living forever, which were fairly frightening. To me though, the most horrifying aspect would be the thought of being trapped in a state of extreme illness or injury forever. I can't actually imagine anything worse than being so physically damaged that I should die and knowing that I never will.

I just thought it was kind of cool that in every other show the "Big Bad" is always something that kills people and Torchwood went "Yeah, but if nobody died that would be even worse." And they were right. Anyway, it was really good and you should watch it.
Plus, how can you not love Captain Jack?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment