Friday, November 22, 2013

Empathy

It seems like there are those in this world who are capable of understanding other people's thought processes, and those who are not. I can't quite figure out if this is an inborn ability in some, a learned ability, or something that everyone can do but some choose not to. It just seems like some people's first instinct is to just write someone off as "crazy" or "stupid" or "wrong" or "an asshole" whenever they do something the other person doesn't understand. When I am in this situation, I automatically find myself trying to understand the person's thought process. Even if I don't agree with what someone does, I find that I can usually at least make sense of it. I feel compelled to know why people are the way they are, and what leads them to do the things they do. Do other people actually not have the ability to do this? or do they just not care to? Perhaps it's ironic that I have to ask that question?
My dad and I watched this episode of Battlestar Gallactica the other night, and he kept talking about how crazy they were for doing this. I was like "No, it's...." and went into this long detailed explanation about what each of them were thinking and feeling that led them to this point. Then he was like "Yeah, like I said, they're psychos." (Facepalm)

No comments:

Post a Comment