Friday, November 8, 2013

Dissatisfaction

I know I have spoken to people about this multiple times, but I don't think I have actually written a blog about it. I can't remember for sure though so, if I have, sorry.

Anyway, this may sound stupid but I truly believe that the source of 99% of the dissatisfaction our society has, with life in general, is too many choices. We have all been told, from the time we were children, that we can do whatever we want with our lives. This sounds great, in theory. However, when you feel like you can do anything it creates this pressure to do the right thing, the best thing, to make the right choice. We feel like, anytime we're not completely happy with our lives, it must be because we made the wrong decision somewhere. Furthermore, some of us (like myself) become completely paralyzed by the pressure to make the right life choices and end up stuck doing something we know we don't want to do because we're afraid to commit to a decision. "But what if I do this, and it turns out that I should have done that?" I truly believe that human beings were better off when we didn't have so many options. Back when every decision we made was life or death, it was easy to know which decision to make. Plus, it gave our lives purpose. If we make the right decisions, we survive. That was the definition of success. Now we have to define success in these strange, obscure ways that we don't even understand half the time. "If I have a nice car, I'm successful." "If I get promoted, I'm successful." "If I can afford a house, I'm successful." "If I make more money than that other guy, I'm successful." or, in my case, "If I feel fulfillment, I'm successful." I think we should all just go back to growing our own food and forget about all this "You can be anything you want" bullshit.
The people in Dollhouse had the right idea. The world, as we know it, came to an end. So they just started their own little self-sufficient community where they grew their own food and took care of each other. I think they all seemed happier that way too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment