Monday, August 5, 2013

It's a Trap!

My dad and I had this interesting idea today. It probably won't ever come to anything, because we have a tendency to talk about doing things and never actually do them, but I think it would be a lot of fun if we did. The idea was to make some Youtube videos about escaping from various situations. This came about because we were channel surfing and came upon some movie where a guy gets caught in one of those traps where you step into a loop of rope and get hauled up into the air by your foot. Every movie that I have ever seen where someone gets caught in one of those, the person just hangs there and waits to pass out, or die, or be rescued. It seems to me that it would be possible to get out of one of those if you were able to use your core muscles to pull yourself up and get a hold of the rope, but no ever seems to do that. Of course the only way to know for sure is to try it, and that is why we came up with the whole video series idea. This one is obviously not the most practical one to start with, but we also talked about getting out of handcuffs, being tied to a chair, and I personally would really love to see if I could get out of a car trunk. This lack of motivation to escape things like this is something that has annoyed the shit out of me in a great many movies, TV shows, and books. I am constantly thinking "Why the fuck are you just sitting there? Why aren't you trying to get away?"
When I read this book was the first time I really remember thinking about this. For those who don't know the story; a couple is "playing a game" in which the wife is handcuffed to the bed when the husband suddenly dies of a heart attack and she is left with no way to get out of the handcuffs and ends up just laying there for several days (if I recall correctly). Here was my thought, how hard would it really be to just break the headboard? I guess there's only one way to find out......  

2 comments:

  1. I like this idea, but, if you do it, be careful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Eh, careful is for pussies, hahah. Besides, if my dad ends up helping me with it, I'm sure he won't let me die. Of course, he also won't ever let me forget if I make an ass of myself.

      Delete