Saturday, August 17, 2013

All Philosophical and Shit

I have decided to get all philosophical with my post tonight. I also happen to be half asleep, so it may just come out sounding like I'm really stoned. Apologies in advance if that is the case.

Here goes. What is it that makes different people feel differently about things? Why does one person like something and another not? Take food for example; why do some people love broccoli and other people hate it? Does it actually taste different to one person than it does to another? Furthermore, how can any of us actually know what something tastes like to someone else, or sounds like to them, or feels like to them? When you play your favorite song for someone and they hate it, do they really hate the same thing that you love or is it completely different inside their head than it is inside your's? The one that I find myself wondering about the most is physical sensations and biological responses. I, for example, love a good adrenaline rush; my mother, on the other hand, would avoid them at all costs. Why? Why would, say, the thought of jumping out of an airplane fill me with excitement and her with complete terror. Are we, in fact, experiencing the same thing, and interpreting it differently, or are they actually two totally different sensations?
Thank you, Rachel, for pinning this today. I think it's kind of perfect for this post. 

3 comments:

  1. You are welcome :)

    I also wonder about these things. . . I wouldn't jump out of plane either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me feel much better about life in general when you understand what I'm talking about. I'm always half convinced that people will be like "What the fuck is wrong with her?" and maybe most of them are, but you get it and that's good enough for me, hahah.

      You're probably wise for not wanting to jump out of a plane. I, on the other hand......

      Delete
    2. I too am glad that there is someone else who thinks at least a little bit like me :)

      Delete