Monday, August 5, 2013

Aranyani

So, I'm almost finished with the Witches' Way. When I actually finish it I will talk a bit more about what I did and did not like about it; although, overall, the belief system fits very well with my own beliefs. One thing that I thought was pretty cool was that, while they embrace the idea of many gods and goddesses, there is no particular set that they adhere to. The authors recommend that each person (or coven) choose their own deities from any number of religions based on which ones resonate with them personally. So today I searched online, for a lot longer than I should have, and I think I finally found my patron goddess. According to Wikipedia; "Aranyani is a goddess of the forests and the animals that dwell within them......she is described as being elusive, fond of quiet glades in the jungle and fearless of remote places." Apparently she is a protector of animals and the forests who has little to no interest in interacting with humans. She is perfect!
Here is a hymn about her from the Rig Veda:

Goddess of wild and forest who seemest to vanish from the sight.
How is it that thou seekest not the village? Art thou not afraid?
 What time the grasshopper replies and swells the shrill cicala's voice,
Seeming to sound with tinkling bells, the Lady of the Wood exults.
 And, yonder, cattle seem to graze, what seems a dwelling-place appears:
Or else at eve the Lady of the Forest seems to free the wains.
 Here one is calling to his cow, another there hath felled a tree:
At eve the dweller in the wood fancies that somebody hath screamed.
 The Goddess never slays, unless some murderous enemy approach.
Man eats of savoury fruit and then takes, even as he wills, his rest.
Now have I praised the Forest Queen, sweet-scented, redolent of balm,
The Mother of all sylvan things, who tills not but hath stores of food.

No comments:

Post a Comment