Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Time for a New Plan

Lately, my dad and I have been experimenting with the forge and....well....it hasn't been going so great. We can't actually seem to get anything to melt. I had this idea about recycling old silverware, so we tried to melt a spoon. It simply would not melt. After a while it got to a glowing orange color, but it would not actually become liquid, no matter how long we heated it. I though maybe we just couldn't get to the melting point for stainless steel (which I think is around 2,500 degrees) so I tried to melt a piece of actual silver. It burned! How the fuck is that even possible? It got red hot and then, without ever melting, developed this weird ashy looking crust on it and became really brittle. So yeah, once again, it looks like I'm going to have to come up with another new plan. 

I'm half considering trying to heat the silverware to the point that it becomes pliable and then shaping it with a hammer or something. Mostly I just want to come up with something to do so that I won't feel like we completely wasted our time with this forge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment