Sunday, December 14, 2014

The Rules Do Not Apply

Yesterday I went to a ju jitsu open mat class in Fairmont. How this came about was kind of a long, complicated story but basically the guy who runs the place wanted to get more girls involved, so he asked me to come. Anyway, it was an interesting change of pace from kickboxing, and I will probably end up going back.

What I actually wanted to talk about though is that I have noticed something interesting about conversations with people who are involved in martial arts. Some very basic social rules simply do not apply. Pretty much every person I've talked to has asked me 1-how old I am, and 2-how much I weigh. It's not like it bothers me or anything, it just always kind of catches me off guard because most people would never ask those things.

No comments:

Post a Comment