Thursday, May 22, 2014

What We're Told

Sometimes I wonder who I could have been if I had been brave enough to move someplace where no one knows me. I have come to realize how much of who I am, maybe how much of who we all are, is based on what other people tell us we are. I really started thinking about this after my little road-trip recently, when my parents made such a big deal about me going by myself. I mean, it was two hours away and I had a GPS. What's the big fucking deal? To anyone else in the world that would be nothing. Yet I was all freaked out about it because everyone I know acted like I should be freaked out about it.

The point here is that I am, believe it or not, a halfway capable human being. I can do things. I can do some fairly difficult things. But it's a hell of a lot harder to do those things when everyone is telling me that I can't. I've actually done some sort of interesting things when I was alone, or with people who didn't know that I was supposed to be completely incompetent. So my question is, how different could we all be if we didn't have people telling us who we are or aren't, and what we can or can't do, all the time?

No comments:

Post a Comment