Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Thanks for Nothing, Survival Instinct

I was thinking today about how much our mindset affects us. I'm not just talking about how it affects our moods or attitudes, but how it actually interferes with our physical abilities. Like how you can do something really well, until you're nervous about it for some reason then you suddenly suck at it. I feel this is a major flaw in the design of the human psyche. The more important something is to us, the more likely we are to fail at it. Who thought that was a good idea?

In case you're wondering why I was thinking about this, it's because today I went up in the woods and was walking across a bunch of fallen trees (again) and I noticed that I'm really good at it when the trees are flat on the ground. If they're off the ground though, I start wondering how injured I would get if I fell off. The odds of it being bad enough to even bother me are slim, but then I start thinking how much it would suck to have to drag my ass off the hill with a broken leg. Plus there's my whole aversion to the medical industry, and it would just be a big mess. Anyway, by the time I think about all that stuff, I'm wobbling back and forth and looking like a fool. Not that it stops me from trying.
My brain keeps trying to tell me it would be like this.


No comments:

Post a Comment