Monday, October 21, 2013

Thoughts on Love Part 6: Love Is a Word

When I spoke to my mom about my definition of Love, she didn't agree. She said "But that has nothing to do with the other person. I believe Love is a verb." Of course, at the time I couldn't think of a way to explain my position. So here it is now.

Love is a word. Like most words, it has many different meanings both by definition and by personal interpretations. It is an act (verb) and an emotion (noun). When I gave my definition of Love, I was referring to the noun form. Even when you think of Love as verb, it can mean completely different things to different people. I believe most people think of the verb form of love as meaning "To experience the emotion of love." What my mom was referring to is the way we behave toward the person we love. The problem with this definition is that, while it encourages us to treat the people we love in a more loving way, it is not an accurate gauge for our emotions. There are plenty of people in the world who can truly Love someone and still treat them like shit; simply because, for whatever reason, they are unable or unwilling to express their emotions in a healthy way. This does not indicate that they don't truly Love the person, simply that they are not conveying that emotion properly. Furthermore, there are plenty of people who are more than capable of acting lovingly toward people they have very little Love for. We all express Love differently. The way we act is a choice, the way we feel is not. What I was attempting to capture with my definition is the common ground we all share when it comes to Love; the one aspect of it that is the same for everyone. I don't know if I succeeded, but that was the goal.

There should be one more of these( should be) and then I'll stop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment