Saturday, October 26, 2013

It's All Fiction

I often think that fiction is the only thing that makes reality bearable. This is pretty obviously true for some of us, you know, the ones who base their entire existence around TV shows, books, and movies. I think it may also be true, in a less obvious way, for the average person as well though. To be honest, I'm not sure that there is anyone in the world who actually lives in the world. We all create these stories about what our lives could be, or should be, or will be someday, and that is where we live. We are all constantly working toward some goal that we think will make everything better and fueling ourselves on the thought of what life will be like when we achieve that goal. If we do manage to achieve the goal we've been working toward, we just find that things still aren't the way we want them to be. Then we have to choose a new goal and create a new fictional world, in which the new goal has been achieved and everything is the way we want it to be. So my question is, what would life be without the little stories we tell ourselves to make it seem worthwhile? Would there even be any point to it at all?

On a semi-related note, I have started listening to Welcome to Night Vale and it is quite possibly the weirdest thing ever. I love it!

2 comments:

  1. I certainly couldn't make it without my fictions. They make it all bearable.

    ReplyDelete