Friday, May 31, 2013

Written Spoken Word

So I said I was going to try to write some new poetry. Well I didn't actually write anything new, but I did write an extended version of something I wrote a while back. I imagine I will never actually get brave enough to do it out loud, but I'm going to pretend that I will anyway.

I long for adventure in my life. I'm talking heart-pounding, mind-racing, out of breath, "will I make it?" "will I make it?" adventure. I want to be one of those people that people talk about in reverent whispers. "Did you hear about that girl who....?" I want to run from danger, shooting sly glances over my shoulder that say "Come on! Is that all you've got?" I don't need a hero. I want to be the hero. I want to save the day and then smile and walk away as if it were nothing, leaving the would be victims to wonder "Who was that?" with tears of relief in their eyes. You can keep your white knight. I will ride to the rescue myself in my rusted out car with my homemade armor and a pen knife for a sword. I want to laugh uncontrollably with the flood of adrenaline that comes from not dying when I was so certain that I would. I want to fight for what I believe in, literally not figuratively. Fight hard. Fight with everything I have, every last drop of myself. I want to look around me and see the mark I have made on this place. I want to leave my signature on every wall, every stone, on the face of every person I meet. I want to die with a smile on my lips because, in the end, I will know that I made this life mine. I want adventure. I want to change this world with my own two hands.

Maybe I'll do what Spike did and wait until I'm fairly certain I'm going to die. 

2 comments:

  1. You could have worse role models than Spike (totally serious).

    I hope you perform this someday! It is amazing! My favorite of all your poems that I've read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Spike has shit figured out!

      Thank you :) I really appreciate that. I would like to think that I'll be that brave someday. You never know.

      Delete