Thursday, May 23, 2013

Writing Is Hard

A while back I, kind of, started writing a novel. It was fairly silly, but I thought if might have been okay if I could have kept at it. Unfortunately, I got a few pages into it and then I kind of lost interest. I have seen quotes from writers who say that they write whole books, or even whole series of books, not knowing how they are going to end. I would just like to say that those writers are very lucky. Every time I start to write any kind of story, which by the way I have tried on several occasions, this is just the one that I made the most progress with before abandoning it, shortly after I start I realize how it must end. Then I pretty much know I'm done for. You see, for me at least, writing a book when you know how it's going to end is quite a bit like reading a book when you know how it's going to end, boring and tedious. I decide how it's going to start, I come up with characters and significant events that they will encounter, then an ending occurs to me. After that I just can't seem to figure out how to fill in all the empty space between all of that. Once I know how it's going to end, it all just seems sort of pointless.

No comments:

Post a Comment