Thursday, April 25, 2013

Tabula Rasa

So here's another one of those weird recurring themes I see in my life. About three weeks ago, in my development class, we learned about the theory of Tabula Rasa. It means "blank slate" and basically the theory is that we are born as nothing. Everything that we are is developed throughout our lives. I don't really agree with this. I feel that there is something more to us that is there from the time we are born. That's not really the point though. The point is; I have now seen this term three times in the last three weeks. A couple of weeks after we learned about it in class, I was watching Buffy and there was an episode titled "Tabula Rasa." Then a couple days ago my mom and I started watching Lost, and guess what, another episode with the name "Tabula Rasa." As usual, this probably isn't as weird as I think it is, but whatever, it feels weird. So what's the message here? The only thing I can think of is "start over." You know, give myself a blank slate and do things differently. In what sense though? I keep thinking that I'm supposed to start over as a new person; finally be the person I want to be instead of the person I've always been. Unfortunately, I've tried that before and it didn't work. Who knows, maybe this time it will.

3 comments:

  1. I like this idea a lot, and I'm a big fan of starting over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm still not sure how to go about doing that, but I think I'll give it a shot. Maybe I'll start by changing my hair. That's the same as changing my life, right? Hahah.

      Delete