Thursday, April 4, 2013

Hero's Journey

In two different classes now, we have talked about the "hero's journey." We just started talking about it in my literature class, which makes sense, but a while back we also talked about it in my history of psychology class. Apparently there is this book by Joseph Campbell, which I'm thinking I should probably read, in which he compares the idea of the "hero's journey" (which is apparently a universal idea across pretty much every culture.) to everyday life. I don't know, maybe if I read it I'll have an easier time seeing everyday life as more than just a giant pile of pathetic, mundane shit. The problem is, I don't want to go on some metaphorical hero's journey, I want to go on a real one!

3 comments:

  1. I always think of the "hero's journey" in the sense of books, movies, etc. It's a pretty common story that is told - Star Wars (original) Harry Potter, etc. I've never thought about in terms of myself though. Interesting. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I always thought of it too. I guess this guy has a different take on the whole thing. I'm going to have to check it out soon, see if he has anything encouraging to say.

      Delete
    2. Let me know, if you find anything interesting!

      Delete