Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Personality Traits

In my Theories of Personality class recently, we were learning about personality traits. Apparently there are different levels of traits which have varying amounts of impact on our lives. Cardinal traits are by far the most powerful and affect almost every aspect of a person's life. My professor emphasized the fact that not everyone has these, and sort of implied that the people who do have them tend to not be the most well-adjusted people. Well, I would definitely say that I have one of these. I think my commitment to animal rights would definitely be considered a cardinal trait. It has a fairly drastic impact on every aspect of my life, even on things that seem entirely unrelated to it. From a psychological standpoint, it may very well be at least somewhat maladaptive. However, despite the many problems it causes me in my life, I'm glad I have it. I am pretty much unwaveringly critical of every detail of myself but my dedication to doing the right thing, no matter how much the majority of society may disagree with it, is something I'm actually proud of. As crazy as it sounds, I wouldn't trade my isolating and all-encompassing sense of morality for all the blissful ignorance in the world.

Also, what the fuck is up with Blogger's spell-checker? It keeps telling me that words I'm using aren't real words, which makes me wonder if I'm crazy and just think that they're real words. Stop lying to me Blogger! I looked them up.

Bad pun! 

2 comments: