Saturday, April 27, 2013

Eureka! Maybe...... I don't know.....

So I had sort of an epiphany today, or maybe it was a stroke, who knows. Anyway, I had an interesting idea. The idea was this; you know how if you say, or even just think about, a word too much it loses all of it's meaning? Well, what if that works with everything? What if you can focus on anything and eventually it will cease to have any impact on you? Well, I decided to try it out. The yoga workout I've been doing has a few poses that are fairly painful. I actually don't mind the ones that are really painful, but there are several that are just highly uncomfortable, and those bug me. Normally, I try to distract myself from the "pain" by thinking about something else, focusing on my breaths, singing to myself in my head. That never actually works though, I just end up thinking about how uncomfortable I am, counting how many breaths it takes to get through the pose, or paying attention to how far into a song I have to get before I'm finished. So today I decided to try something different. Instead of trying to ignore it, I just focused all of my attention on the spot that hurt the most. I was somewhat surprised to find that it actually worked. After a few seconds of focusing exclusively on the pain, it basically stopped hurting. I'm tempted to try it on psychological issues, but I'm thinking that has an equal chance of resulting in a much better outlook on life or a complete breakdown.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yeah, hahah, it's probably insane but it does seem to work for yoga at least.

      Delete