Monday, April 27, 2015

Daredevil

My mom and I finished watching Daredevil about a week ago, and now I'm almost through it for the second time. It's just so good that I had to share with you guys exactly what is so amazing about it.

First of all, it is much darker and more depressing than anything else I've ever seen from Marvel. Which is great, because the only thing I don't like about Marvel is that they aren't usually dark and depressing enough (I'm being sincere there, by the way, I like my superheros sad and tortured. What can I say?)

I got to the confession scene, which is about five minutes into the first episode, and knew that they had me; there would be no escape. I tried to find a video of it on Youtube, so you could see what I'm talking about, but I couldn't so you'll just have to trust me on this.

Anyway, here are some of my favorite things abut the show.

1- There is a much more intense emotionally aspect to it than you find in most superhero shows/movies, which lends to the dark, depressing tone mentioned above.

2- The villain is truly frightening, but still somehow sympathetic. They give us some glimpses int his back-story and thought process, and it makes it so you can't really hate him even while he is doing truly horrible things (like decapitating a guy with a car door, which was exactly as gruesome as it sounds).

3- I think for the first time I have ever seen, the female lead is not the one criticizing the hero's methods. Karen is actually the biggest proponent of using violence, when other tactics don't work out. I thought this was a really cool change of pace from the usual lecturing, guilt-tripping female lead.

4- The interaction between the characters, particularly Matt and Foggy, is so excellent! They feel like people you would want to hang out with.

5- The fight choreography is also excellent. Pretty much every episode has at least one great fight scene.

6- I assume do to the fact that this is on Netflix as opposed to TV, they really took their time with things. The pace of each scene was a bit slower than most shows, which made it feel more real and also added a sense of tension. They even threw in a few scenes that seemed to be intended almost entirely to add artistic value, which I loved and felt contributed real depth to the show.

7- None of the characters felt one-dimensional. Even the villains were likable, to some extent. And even the smallest characters felt like real people.

8- Again because this is Netflix and not TV, they used more realistic language (everything up to, but not including "fuck"). That is something that I find really annoying about most shows. I'm constantly thinking "No one talks like that!" So yeah, no pathetic replacements for cuss words in this show.

9- I think my favorite thing about the whole show though, was Matt's overall attitude about what he was doing. He was trying to help people, to make a difference, to do the right thing, but he also just kind of couldn't help himself. You get the distinct impression that he needed the release of fighting. It also seemed like, the more he got hurt, the more compelled he was to go back and do it again. I liked this because I, personally, am really bored with the whole "reluctant hero" thing. Every other hero is like "I don't want to do this, but I have to." Matt fucking wants to. I like that.
10- Even the opening credits ^ are badass! 
Getting thrown out of a window is just motivation for him.




No comments:

Post a Comment