Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Compulsion

I don't know why, but when I read a book I have this weird compulsion to read everything. I feel like most people probably don't bother to read things like the acknowledgements. I mean, who the fuck wants to sit and read a list of names that mean nothing to them? Me, that's who. Although I guess it's not so much that I want to read it as it is that I feel like I have to read it. It's not usually a big deal though because usually you can read all of the unnecessary stuff in just a few minutes. However, I have been reading some more famous books recently (you know, those ones I was talking about yesterday that I feel like I should read) and a lot of them have notes, and commentary, and analysis, by various people, and I just simply don't give a shit about that. I just want to read the book itself, not what some other random person might have to say about it. I just started reading Paradise Lost, which is really quite lovely, but the notes on it are literally as long as the book itself, and they're boring as shit! Plus, most of the stuff in the notes I didn't really need explained anyway. I just can't make myself ignore them though, it feels like cheating or something. I'll feel like I didn't really finish the book (which I hate!) unless I read them, even though they are in no way crucial to the story. I wish I could find copies of these kinds of books that don't have all the extra stuff printed in them, then I wouldn't have to worry about it. But alas, I'll probably just waste hours of my time reading mind-numbingly boring shit that I already knew.   
and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment