Sunday, March 29, 2015

Suspension of Disbelief

You know one thing that has always bugged the shit out of me on TVs shows and movies? When people are able to figure out other people's passwords. I always find it really interesting trying to get inside other people's heads, and I love watching it in TV and movies. However, I think it's damn near impossible to actually figure out someone else's password. I don't care if you know every detail of another person's life, you still probably wouldn't be able to figure it out. Not because it's impossible to understand someone's thought process that well, but because password requirements pretty much ensure that they be almost entirely nonsensical. They have to have a minimum number of characters, a number, a combination of upper and lower case letters, and sometimes something that is neither a number or a letter. So yeah, I don't care how good you are at getting inside other people's heads, I'm fairly certain there's no way to predict what random assortment of keys someone will select to satisfy the password gods. I suppose that's why, in movies and TV shows, the password rules never seem to exist, the passwords are always just plain old words.

No comments:

Post a Comment