Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Thoughts on Violence

I mentioned yesterday how much I feel like I have changed over the years. Well, it kind of makes me feel like terrible person to say this, but one of the things that I think has changed the most is the way I feel about violence. I used to completely abhor violence of any kind. I thought that is was pretty much always unnecessary, and just wrong. I don't see it that way anymore. I still abhor violence against the innocent, but I feel very differently about consensual violence. At this point, as far as I'm concerned, there is nothing wrong with two (or more) people doing whatever damage they want to each other, as long as everyone involved knew what they were getting into. In fact, I can see (though not really explain) the appeal. I desperately want to take a martial arts class; I think it would be of great benefit to me.

Even my thoughts about war have changed a bit. I used to say that it was always wrong, and that it was never the solution for anything. I don't really think that's the case anymore. There are some things that are worth fighting for, and there are some people who will never do the right thing unless someone makes them do it. Don't get me wrong, about 90% of all wars are still complete shit, and just an excuse for people to kill each other. Even then though, the way I see it, if you have a bunch of people who want to kill each other just for sake of killing each other, so be it. The real horror of war is how many innocents get dragged into it. If we could find a way to confine war to only those who actually want it, it might not be quite so bad.
If we ever got to the point of a war for animal liberation, I would be the first to enlist. Just saying

No comments:

Post a Comment