Sunday, April 6, 2014

Maybe I'm Reading Too Much Into This?

My dad and I finished up Sarah Connor last night (I may write about that eventually, but right now I'm still working through the ending), so tonight we ended up watching Seeking a Friend for the End of the World. I had seen it before, but I had forgotten how much I liked it. If you haven't seen it, basically the idea is that there is an asteroid heading for Earth and there's nothing we can do about it. So everyone is just trying to decided what to do with their last few weeks of life. It was a bit exaggerated and over-the-top but in a good way (at least in my opinion).

This movie raised a few interesting thoughts and questions for me.
1-What would I do if I knew the world was coming to an end? I honestly don't know, and that bothers me. I'm going to give this some serious thought, and mayhap I will write a post about it at a later date.
2-What would the average person do in this situation? In the movie there seemed to be, primarily, two types of people; those who mostly just went about their lives as if nothing had changed, and those who completely let loose and did everything they had been too afraid to do before. I feel like this is probably fairly accurate. I may go into more detail about this later as well.
3-I'm going to try not to give too much away for those who haven't seen it, but there is one part where the girl tells the guy that she wishes they could have met earlier (you know, before the world was ending) and he says that it couldn't have happened any other way. I think maybe he was right. The two characters were extremely different and had totally different outlooks on life. The thing that allowed them to connect with each other was the fact that none of the things that they had previously valued in their lives really mattered anymore. It seems really sad to me that there may be people out there that we could have this incredible connection with, but we never will because our lives/priorities/values/ideals/preconceptions prevent it. In this situation, none of that had any meaning anymore.
4-You know my post from a few days ago where I talked about how some people are just naturally fascinating and some are boring no matter what they do? The girl (Penny) in this movie is one of those fascinating people. She is weird and scattered and seems to have no fucking clue what she's doing with her life, yet everyone loves her. I mean, how could you not? She is fantastic! But why? I feel like she is everything I could be if I could figure out how.
5-There is a scene which goes like this
Dodge- "What'd you do? Before."
Penny- "I think you could say that I dabbled."
I fucking love that! That just sounds so much better than "I had a bunch of different jobs that I hated." Which is what I'm pretty sure she meant.
Seriously, she's great. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment