Monday, August 18, 2014

Aliens and Environmentalists

Yesterday, my sister and I went to see Guardians of the Galaxy. I was totally shocked that she agreed to see it, it's not the type of movie she usually watches, and even more shocked when she said she loved it. That makes two movies in two days that we agree on; that must be a new record for us. Anyway, the movie was completely hilarious, the characters were great, it had cool special effects, and you got to see Karen Gillan (aka Amy Pond) as a bald, blue alien. Plus Rocket and Groot were just so incredibly adorable. So yeah, definitely worth watching.

Then, last night, my dad and I watched Noah. I had heard some interesting things about this movie, mostly that conservatives were super fucking pissed about it. I can totally see why. It had a distinctly environmentalist/ animal rights message. Noah and his family did not eat meat and he was always trying to explain to his children the importance of taking care of animals and the earth. He even chased off some hunters and gave their prey a proper funeral at the beginning of the movie. They also implied that the infamous "forbidden fruit" from the Garden of Eden was, in fact, meat. Noah kept getting these visions, showing all of the mistakes mankind had made since the beginning, and he repeatedly saw a hand reaching for a piece of fruit that was a deep red color and pulsing like a heartbeat. I love that idea so fucking much! Plus, Noah was apparently the founder of the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement . My mom (who had watched to movie before) and my dad both thought that Noah was being insane by the end, but I totally agreed with him. The earth would have been a whole lot better off if no humans had survived. Just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment