Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Not My First Choice

Some of you may know that there is sort of this running joke (?) in my life about me looking like Betty Boop. It all started six or seven years ago when I was on a road trip with a couple of friends. The woman working at the desk in the hotel we were checking into said "You probably hear this all the time, but do you know who you look like?" I, of course, said "No, who?" with genuine curiosity, because I had never been told that I look like anyone. Then she said "Betty Boop." I thought she was completely insane. Not only did she think that I looked like a cartoon character, but she thought that I looked so much like a cartoon character that other people must point it out to me all the time. Here's the weird part, after that initial time from the woman at the hotel, I did start hearing it all the time! I have probably been told that I look like Betty Boop twenty times over the last few years. I had actually started to think that I had outgrown the resemblance because no one had said anything about it for at least a year or so. Then today some customer at Goodwill says to her friend "Look at her (meaning me). Who does she look like to you?" And I started thinking "Oh no. Please don't say Betty Boop!" Her friend juts kind of shrugged, so she shouts "Betty Boop! She looks just like Betty Boop!" Then, everyone in the general vicinity starts laughing and saying "She really does!" Son of a bitch. I thought I was done with this shit. Why can't I look like someone cool, or sexy, or badass, or at least someone with a head that is proportionate to her body?

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I knew this! Hilarious! At least Betty Boop is considered a sexy cartoon. She's a pinup and all. It could be worse - Daffy Duck for example :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I never told you about this! It's been haunting me for years! I suppose you're right. Daffy Duck would definitely be worse, hahah.

      Delete