Sunday, July 28, 2013

Happily Ever After

I was thinking today about the whole concept of "happy endings." I came to the conclusion that there is no such thing. When a story ends happily, what has really happened is that the writer has decided to stop writing at a point where things are going well. If he or she had continued writing long enough things wouldn't have inevitably gone downhill until no one was happy anymore. I guess that's why I tend to be fond of depressing endings; they are more honest. I prefer stories that end with some sort of purpose or meaning, but not with everyone being all joyful and feeling like everything is perfect. That shit never lasts. Even on the off chance that the perfection could last, the story will always end sad; because the end of something wonderful is always sad. Even the most improbably amazing love story ultimately ends when one of the people dies. That is never going to be happy. That's why people who write happy endings don't ever really write clear to the end; if they did, there would be no such things as a story with a happy ending.

1- I had intended to post this last night, but Hughesnet said nay. 
2- I really didn't intend for it to be so depressing but, since it turned out that way, I decided to run with it and use the Donnue Darko gif. 



No comments:

Post a Comment