Monday, March 24, 2014

To Be the First

Lately I have noticed a recurring theme, in many of the shows/movies I've been watching, of people (specifically scientists in these cases, though it could just as easily happen to anyone) accidentally creating terrible things out of simple curiosity and desire to do something that has never been done before. I started thinking about that, and it occurred to me that a lot of the problems in our world may be due to this phenomena. People naturally want to do memorable things. We all want to feel that we are somehow special, that we have done something remarkable. If we see an opportunity to do that, we may very well overlook the possible implications of our actions. There is an inherent sense of fulfillment that comes from the idea of being the first. The first person to do something, no matter what that thing is or what it may lead to, is automatically remembered and often idolized. I think it is a fairly common occurrence for people to want so badly to leave something behind that they inadvertently leave behind something awful. Sorry, I don't have any helpful insights into what could be done about this. It's just something I've been thinking about.
Okay, I have officially used up all of these pictures.There are still four more days left to vote though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment