Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Homework

Today, my dad was watching the local news and I overheard part of a segment about the amount of homework kids are getting every day. As some of you may know, I was homeschooled as a kid. I always heard kids on TV, as well as kids I knew who attended public school, complain about homework. When I went to school for the first time I was a bit concerned about this. I thought it was going to be this huge ordeal trying to get my homework done every night. Well, as it turned out, the entire time I was in public school I almost never had any homework.

The people I overheard on the news today were quoting statistics about the number of kids with two or more hours of homework per day. I thought "Two or more hours! What the fuck?" I never had that much homework. Never. Then I remembered how many kids used to bitch about how much homework they had back when I was still in school, and how many of those kids just sat in class and bullshitted around instead of doing the work during class time. So I'm thinking that the overabundance of homework may in fact be a side-effect of kids having, you know, lives (something I never actually had when I was in school, or now for that matter).

Also, one of the people they interviewed on the news was a grandmother who stated that she did not believe that her grandchildren had more homework than her children had, but that the work was definitely harder. Well no shit! We have developed a little bit as a society over the last thirty years! I would certainly hope that we know a little more now than the previous generation. Otherwise what's the fucking point of trying to teach kids anything at all?
Hey, if I want anyone to vote for me I have to talk about education, right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment