Tuesday, June 11, 2013

More Poetry

We are all connected. We affect each other in ways that we cannot even imagine, and we shouldn't try to imagine or we become paralyzed by the endless stream of possibilities. We change and are changed in innumerable ways everyday without even noticing it. We will never know the true implications of our actions. We can never foresee which huge or minuscule act will forever change the world in which we live. I live my life under the assumption that everything I do creates a tiny ripple which grows smaller and smaller even as it stretches out in all directions, reaching toward infinity. Maybe someday, if I create enough of these ultimately microscopic disturbances in the fabric of our reality, they will join together and form a tidal wave which will wash over us all and leave behind a new high water mark on the walls of our world. Or maybe they will just fade into oblivion and nothing I do will be remembered any longer than the time it takes for me to do it. I try to walk through my life scattering  thoughts like spores to the wind, in the hope that they will land in the minds of those around me and grow into brand new worldviews. I stand on sidewalks and smile as I hand people bricks and as they walk away I cross my fingers that they will use them to build temples instead of dungeons. The human voice is so small, but we live in a time of truly remarkable acoustics. One little voice has the opportunity to reverberate all the way around the world in a matter of minutes, seconds but we never know quite what it will sound like when it gets to the other side. I find myself afraid to open my mouth for fear that the sound that comes out will be misunderstood. What if I hit the wrong note and cause an avalanche that buries the very thing I was trying to protect?
I'm thinking I might just use this picture for all of my poems because; 1-Then I won't have to specify that they are poems. 2-It will save me the hassle of searching for poetry related pictures and 3- It makes me happy :)   



No comments:

Post a Comment