Tuesday, September 3, 2013

(Mis)Adventures in Online Dating

Today I decided, once again, to try VeggieConnection. In case you didn't guess, it's a dating site geared toward vegetarians and vegans. Sounds like a great idea, yeah? Not really. I first signed up in 2009 and since then I have tried it for anywhere from a day to upwards of a month, gotten fed up with it, hidden my account and sworn never to return, maybe four or five times. In the short expanse of time that I have actually used my account, I have managed to have some remarkably unfortunate experiences. First, I spent several days talking to this guy from California who ended up flipping out on me because we were IMing and I took too long to respond, so he accused me of talking to another guy while I was talking to him. To be fair, I was talking to someone else at the same time, but it was a friend. Also, it was none of his fucking business one way or the other. Then, there was a guy from Texas who gave up on me after I didn't want to fly there and stay with him after only knowing each other for a few days. The worst one though, I think, was the guy I emailed back and forth multiple times a day for several weeks. We seemed to have a lot in common, and I really liked him. He eventually came to see me, as he was passing through to visit a friend. We had the worlds most awkward double-date with my sister and her boyfriend, he slept in my bed and I slept on the couch, we had some polite conversation before he left the next morning, then I never heard from him again. Anyway, today, I'm scrolling through the profiles and what do I see? A vegan from....get this....Lawrence Kansas! It has to be a sign of some sort, right? So I click on his profile and it has almost no information on it. Then I happen to notice that, in the section where you can check the boxes for the different ethnicities you are interested in, he has checked all of them except "African decent/Black". Guess what VeggieConnection, if I wanted to meet racist assholes I could do that right here in good old Mannington WV. Seriously, why does that section even exist? What possible reason can someone have for not wanting to date a particular race than that he or she is a racist asshole?

4 comments:

  1. That sucks! Lawrence, Kansas would seem so promising.

    I guess maybe they have that section so that people like you can weed out people like him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was so disillusioned when I read his profile.

      I suppose that is true. It just seems weird to me that they act like it's totally acceptable to have certain races you're not willing to date.

      Delete