Friday, February 14, 2014

Furthermore

This is actually sort of old news, but it pissed me off at the time and I was just thinking about it and thought, since I'm on this whole feminism kick the last few days, I might as well write about it. A while back I found this article about how magazines are now starting to Photo Shop models to look "healthier." Well, I don't if that's a good thing or a bad thing really. It seems to me that if a model is so thin that magazine editors think she looks unhealthy they should just encourage her to actually get healthy, but whatever that's not what this post is actually about.

The thing about the article that pissed me off was the picture of Cameron Diaz. Now, don't get me wrong, she is very thin. However, I don't think that she is unhealthily thin and it looks to me like what they really did was not to make her look "healthier" but to make her look more traditionally feminine. They smoothed out all of her muscle tone and made her look more soft and curved everywhere. One of the things they say they did to the photo was to smooth out the "bony definition" on her hip. I would think that people who make their living taking pictures of people's bodies would have some understanding of the human body. That isn't her fucking hipbone they smoothed out! It's the muscle that runs over the hipbone (the obliques, maybe?), and it will only show up like it does on her if you do a shit-ton of sit-ups! In the original photo, she did not have the type of body you get from starving yourself, which is what the article makes it sound like, she had the type of body you get from working your fucking ass off. I don't know how she felt about it, but if some magazine shooped out all the work I had put into my body and then claimed that they did it to make me look healthier, I would be kicking someone's ass and, in the original photo, she looks like she is more than capable of doing it.


No comments:

Post a Comment